new TR6 owner

To: <jollycj@pacbell.net>
Subject: new TR6 owner
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb2@townisp.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:26:53 -0500 tests=HTML_20_30,HTML_MESSAGE, USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=2.60 ns4.townisp.com
Cc: "Big Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Chris,
    Congratulations on the "new" TR6.
    I agree with Andy, go with the rebuilt lever shocks.  And, the heavy duty
units are worth the extra $10 each.  These cars tend to "squat".  See
www.applehydraulics.com  NFI.
    Make sure the rear diff mounts (especially passenger side) are solid.
They are hard to inspect, but if there is a banging noise in the back upon
engaging the clutch, that is one clue they are weakening.  It's easier and
cheaper to fix them before they break completely.  The mounts can be
strengthened by re-welding the pins and boxing them in with plates.  Maybe
your car has been treated gently, and they are still in good shape.
    An early TR6 (I'm not certain where the cut-off was) may also need the
strengthening gussets to the front lower A-arm mounts, which were included
from the factory in all the later cars.  All these strengthening bits are
available from the big three suppliers and others.
    Make sure the stopping things all work (brakes), then work on the go
stuff.  I'd replace all four flexible brake lines if there is any question
about their condition.  I'd take her out in a big empty parking and stand on
the brakes a few times.  If she stops straight and nothing blows or leaks, you
can feel confident in traffic.

    Cheers,
-Rick
1973 Triumph TR6 CF2570U