RE: TR3A: Starting the Engine?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A: Starting the Engine?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:01:04 -0800
> Before I settle down to install the wiring harness and all that
> entails, I would like to consider starting my engine, as I seem to
> recall other Listers have done. My questions are:
>   a.)  Is this feasible?

Sure.

>   b.)  Is it a good idea?

Why not ?  Always helps keep my enthusiasm up !

>   c.)  What would be the minimum necessary wiring and electrical
> components to install to do this?

To crank, you'll need a battery, ground connection to engine (which can
either be a cable directly to the engine block, or the stock strap to the
body plus the stock strap from the body to the engine), cable to solenoid,
solenoid, cable to starter.

To fire, you'll need a hot wire from the battery to the coil, and a point
lead from the coil to the distributor.  Of course, all the high tension
equipment too (cap, rotor, wires).

But that's basically it, I've even been known to start them sitting out on
the floor ...

Don't forget to consider cooling and fuel issues.

Randall