TR4 Questions on Originality - Underhood

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Questions on Originality - Underhood
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:20:16 EST
Hi Guys,
I am trying to help the Triumph Register of American improve or at least
verify a few things in their Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines
Manual.
For those of you who are not familiar with this publication it is IMHO by far
the most well written and authoritative document in existence for an owner of
a TR4 or TR4A who wishes to restore a TR4 to original specifications.  It is
available from TRA for a nominal fee (NFI) and used in the judging process at
their annual National Convention.

As with most reference guides on originality some aspects must be called into
question to verify if they are correct when discrepancies exist.  I believe
that the best way to accomplish this is a survey of the owners of original
TR4's.  Having gone thru the Underhood section of the Manual I have the
following
questions:

Triumph used the "long neck" radiator in early TR4's.  The header tank
extension was a carry over from the TR3A & B where one could not get to the top
of
the radiator and really served no purpose in the TR4.  At some point early in
production the header tank was removed and the cap relocated to the top of the
radiator.  The manual puts this change at Commission # CT9553.  I believe this
is possibly way to early in production to mark this change.  I know of one
original car, CT13917L, that has a long neck. Any other post CT9553 TR4's with
long necks?

Cooling fans were evidently a major headache for Triumph.  Some TR4's
received the improved 4 blade fan with large rectangular blades.  Others
received the
optional "Tropical" 6 bladed fan.  The manual recognizes these two types.  My
car, CT5521LO was cursed with the famously inadequate TR3A & B fan with the 4
smaller spatula type blades. CT13917L referenced previously also has this
type of fan fitted.  Any other TR4's with spatula fans?

Triumph was using their engines outside the TR line and due to the
requirements of another vehicle a hole was drilled in the center of the rocker
cover.
Since the TR4 did not use the hole a brass plug was put in it.  The manual
places this change in the rocker cover at engine #CT14234E.  Some evidence
suggests that the brass plug appeared much earlier in fact some TR3B's have the
brass
plug. In my experience a cover without the plug is rarely seen.  Can anyone
help with this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.  As I said the TRA manual is excellent
for reference and these are the only questions I could find in the entire
underhood section.  If I can clear them up I will relay your responses to John
Gable the TRA Chief Judge.

Best Regards,
Darrell Floyd
VTR Chief Judge