RE: VTR 2004 Convention Update

To: <Tr3bob@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: VTR 2004 Convention Update
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:10:18 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Tr3bob@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 12:45 PM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net

Hi Listers,

I'd like to add some insights into the LBC mentality if I may.

Our multimarque club has some 200+ members and I find that real
involvement takes place mainly at the local level. We are one of the
most active clubs in N.E. and our "tool times" and social events keep us
active in winter.
I believe that most LBC owners are provincial by nature and like to hang
out with a local crowd. Only 7% or 8% of our members will actually make
a trip of 300+ miles...that pretty much limits us to the
northeast...perhaps Armagh.

To me, unlike the local American iron owners, the real benefit of LBC
ownership is the comraderie that's evident when we get together. Our
Friday night cruises attract 25-30 British cars with a few curious
American interlopers. We go for ice cream or do a mystery rallye or have
a potluck supper picnic...great fun for the LBC family.

With this prevailing attitude, it's difficult enough, logistically, to
organize a national event and it can be a real bear if it's not well
attended. Perhaps that's why the Roadster Factory has had some success
with the VTA....people are attending the Summer Party anyway.

FWIW...thanks

Off the soap box now.

Bob Stahlbush, pres., British Motorcars of N.E. (bmcne.com)

Bob,
Thanks for that insight.  It is particularly useful when you think about
hosting an event like VTR.  Since you are a British Car club rather than
strictly Triumphs, you will get a lot of flack from MG owners if you
suggested hosting a VTR event.  I know that was my feeling when the
local Tucson British Car club suggested hosting a "GOF" (Gathering of
the Faithful for only MG owners).

As these cars get older and less common, the number of enthusiasts is
bound to dwindle and there will be fewer and fewer Triumph only clubs
that will continue to exist.  What will we do then, quit having VTR
events altogether.

Perhaps some thought should be directed to that issue and a plan
formulated that may help these short term issues get resolved as well.

Regards,
Joe