RE: manifold nuts to general nuts

To: "triumph listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: manifold nuts to general nuts
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:46:34 -0800
> I spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning
> up all nyloc
> and slotted nuts when rebuilding my chassis because I could not find a
> supply.

Might be time to mention this again ... Nyloc nuts are single-use fasteners,
do not reuse them !  Especially those old, tired ones that came on the car
... they need to be replaced.  When the nut is first installed, the nylon
insert forms around the threads and locks to them.  When it is removed, the
friction wears away the nylon, then it wears more when they are installed
again, the net result is less friction keeping the nut from turning.  Since
they're normally used in critical locations (like steering and suspension),
they should be replaced every time to ensure that the locking function still
works.

In a pinch, they can be reused once or twice by smacking the insert side
with a hammer and crushing the lip that holds the insert.  Definitely Not
recommended practice, tho.

Randall