RE: Safe to regrind factory cam?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Safe to regrind factory cam?
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:34:48 -0500
Michael,
I think $300 for a TR6 cam is high. I've used the re-grind Isky Z-19 cam
in several engines with excellent results at nearly a third of that
price, but admittedly it is a re-grind. Performance, new cam and lifter
kits (not re-grinds) for 60's MOPAR engines run about $160-$200 and they
include 16 lifters! Not exactly high volume parts here. It doesn't cost
any more to grind a TR6 cam than it does a small block MOPAR cam and
while there is a difference in volume, I don't think it's so great a
difference to justify doubling the price. While I'm sure the Integral
Cams product is a good one, is it that much better than MOPAR
Performance, Crane and Lunati? I think price here has to do more with
production volume and competition than quality.
And BTW, if only those who were experts made comments on this list it
make for short and boring reading. We all have opinions and there is no
harm in expressing them.

My $.02
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

> > A TR6 camshaft for $300 sounds really cheap to me, and I suspect it
> > is that cheap because it may have been made offshore.  Caveat
> > Emptor!
> >
> > [name removed to protect the ignorant]
>
> You know, sometimes it is best advised to just not speculate on a
> subject with which you are not familiar.

Sorry, my comments about stuff made offshore were not directed at any
particular manufacturer, and I must admit that I am ignorant regarding
Integral Cams, having no direct experience of their products.  My note
was directed to the statement that new cams were made with better
technology and better materials, and I was trying to point out that this
was not necessarily true.  Didn't mean to offend anyone.  I will shut up
now...

Michael Marr (the ignorant one referred to in Kai's note) Naperville, IL
1960 TR3A