RE: NO LBC: Irony can be so ironic sometimes

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: NO LBC: Irony can be so ironic sometimes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:25:00 -0800
> The seat belt law exists because the EVIDENCE shows you're safer staying in
> your car than being thrown from it.

The "evidence" also shows that it's safer to stay in your house at all times.
Do you think it should be the law that you cannot set foot outside ?

> Thinking that being thrown from a car is safer than staying in it is
> contidictory to all emperihical and scientific evidence. Check out the NSC's
> web site if you doubt any of this:

Show me just one TR3A used for their tests ...

Oh, and BTW, how much do you trust an agency that would not exist if they
started saying we don't need their safety devices ?  They have a considerable
vested interest in keeping their cushy jobs ...

Ever notice how if someone is killed wearing a belt, it's always reported as "in
spite of"; while if they weren't wearing one, it's "because of" ?  I have real
world, first-hand observations that say it isn't always so.  Anyone who claims
it's ALWAYS true is flat-out lying ... which includes most of the people who
want to ram seat belt laws down our throats.

And how about mandatory air bags ?  There are many documented cases of people
(primarily babies but adults as well) being killed BY THEIR AIR BAGS in
otherwise non-life threatening accidents.

Next you'll be telling us that LBCs should be illegal, because they aren't as
safe as Volvos.

> If that's not good enough, here's a monitary reason. If you've had an
> accident
> recently the first question the insurance company will ask is: were
> you wearing
> your seat belt?  If the police are called what is their first question: were
> you wearing a seat belt? Answer NO and see what happens. I'd hate to
> be thrown
> from a car, pay my own medical bills and get a ticket!

Oddly enough, I was in a serious accident just a few months ago, and was asked
all those questions.  In spite of that, I did not pay any medical bills, nor did
I get a ticket.

I'm sorry, arguing that a law is good because it's the law doesn't hold water
either.

> Don't be stupid, wear a seatbelt,

Ok, John, see if I answer any more of your questions !

> and please don't tell anyone else not to wear one.

I never do, I think it should be a personal decision.  I just don't think it
should be the law, nor should it be one more excuse for any random cop to pull
you over and hassle you.

Does anyone remember what Freedom means ?  It means being able to make your own
choices, even if your government doesn't agree with them.

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one."
- Benjamin Franklin

I've said enough, I'll shut up now.

Randall