Re: NO LBC: Irony can be so ironic sometimes

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: NO LBC: Irony can be so ironic sometimes
From: "WebmasterRick" <WebmasterRick@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:22:28 -0600
>From my next-door neighbor & friend & "client":

Rick
Ok, gents!! (and this is in response to several notes):

<<I was uninjured because I was NOT wearing a belt (slid across the bench
seat as the door wound up where I had been sitting).>>

Well Randall, I WAS!  About 15 years ago driving a '72 El Camino (GREAT shape
and REAL steel) got t-boned by an idiot go @ 60 mph the WRONG way on a one-way
street!!  I AM a VERY defensive drive (more below) and was sitting at an
intersection with red light to me.  Light turned green to my (and opposite
direction) and I DID check for north bound traffic.  However, I did NOT check
for south bound as street was one-way NORTHbound.  Proceeded into said
intersection.

WHAM into "B" pillar (realized later) and driver's door.  I WAS wearing std.
(for era) lap belt on bench seat.
Needless to say, my upper body went to my extreme right (to seat level) and
then bounced back into an area NOW occupied by the driver's door and arm
rest.

Although, I only had VERY bruised ribs (damn it HURT!!!!), I was "ok".  Cops
where behind my TWO cars and witnessed<G>!!!
Investagagating Officer even said, TOO bad you were BELTED !!!  Camino TOTALED
as "b" pillar was ONE foot INSIDE of car!!!<F>

Then John D. said:

"The seat belt law exists because the EVIDENCE shows you're safer staying in
your car than being thrown from it.'

To which I do have to agree!!  In 1962 while driving a B Model Volvo AND
wearing the FIRST (and IMHO STILL the best) THREE point system, I had a THREE
flip and THREE rollover accident in MO.  NEVER moved from seat.  Front & rear
windscreens "popped out, front and rear turn signal lens gone!, headlights NO
glass, and both front "wing" mirrors HISTORY!!!  Land on driver's door.
Couple of folks witnessed and actually helped put car back on wheels.  I am
now several hundred yards our in a field at the bottom of a 30 foot or so drop
from roadway.  Started the car and drove over to bottom of slope.  Wrecker
pulled me up and I drove said Volvo about 10 miles to a plaza where I called
my parents and related the tale.  The police officer that took the report
(remember LOTS of witnesses) related that he had NEVER seen an UN-injured
person at that location (HIGH wreckage) and that most "victims" expired !!!
Yikes!!!

Then Fred wrote:

"Ask any cop or any rescue personnel and I can assure you 100% of the answers
will always be "seat belts" save lives."

And my comment is:  As a retired Medic of 16 years and a cop for 1.5 years:
B.S., although I mostly agree.

BUT, EACH scenario IS different.

Bottom line???  There is NO answer in OUR cars!!!!

But do I believe in them??  You BET!!!  My "toys" are a '63 BJ-7 Healey
(Hortense) and my wife's is 1 '73 Black Tulip MGB.  My daily driver for the
last 14 years???  '70 El Camino (136+ miles).

My "new" (as of 2 weeks ago)??  Another '70 El Camino!!!! (and STILL with lap
belts which I put on a habit!!)  http://www.justbrits.com/cars/camino.html
Drove her (un-named yet) from Rancho Cucamonga, CA to Chicago area<G>!!!!!

Keep the oily side down and have a GREAT LBC year !!!

Ed
'63 BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey)
'73 Black Tulip MGB (Murial)
Founding Member & Delegate, ILLINI Chapter - AHCA (25+ yrs.)
Member & Tech Contact, AHCUSA
Member of too many other clubs to list.

Ed Kaler, Proprietor
" Just Brits "