RE: Two TR3A radiator questions

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Two TR3A radiator questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:14:44 -0800
> I have noticed that 5-10 minutes or so after driving I hear, what
> sounds like a burp in the cooling system.  I checked this morning
> after a drive & a burp, and I noticed a thin layer of foam on top.  I
> have been using my "heater" on our 'chilly' Phoenix mornings (50F).
> I am using a 165F thermostat & it is holding the temp right around to
> 165F, in this more english-like weather.  Suggestions?

Does your radiator cap have a vacuum relief valve ?  If it's missing (ISTR some
caps didn't have them) or stuck, you may be hearing air sucked in through the
water pump seal by the contraction of the water as it cools.

> I bought a TRF TR4 coolant overflow bottle, and I am planning to
> install it immediately the right (passenger side) of the radiator,
> attaching the bracket to the inner wheel well.  I have test fitted it
> & it fits nicely.  My question  is how much will it matter how high
> or low (relative to the filler neck) I mount it?  It would seem that
> I should put it as high as possible to make the suck back in easier,
> but does it really matter practically, given the short range of
> possibilities??

Having it lower will make it harder to keep everything sealed (more vacuum on
the cap) but it can work fine.  The PO of the TR3 project I bought recently was
apparently worried about the level of the recovery bottle and built a bracket to
hold it way up high ... which I will be removing.  But the original setup on my
Triumph Stag has the recovery bottle down almost at the base of the radiator.

Don't forget you're going to need a special cap ... the original cap does not
make an air-tight seal to the upper part of the radiator neck, which will be
essential to suck water up from the recovery bottle.  I don't know offhand of
anyone selling "recovery" caps to fit the TR3A radiator neck ... easiest
solution may be to have your radiator shop convert the neck to modern standards.
Some recovery bottle kits come with a rubber gasket to insert under the cap, but
I've not had much luck with those.

Randall