Birthdays

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Birthdays
From: "John A. Wise" <Wise@erau.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:57:26 -0700
I am 60 for a few months more.

My first car, purchased in college, was a 1960 TR3A - black with a
red interior.  When I graduated and left to become a USAF pilot, my
father convinced me that as an officer & gentleman I needed a four
passenger car.  I bought a Camero as a compromise - a real mistake.

After I married my college sweetheart, we traded it for an two door
automatic coupe for her to dive to work & I bought a 58 MGA to drive
to go fly jets.  I owned that car for 12 years and drove it nearly
every day.  I traded it for a '72 240Z (with 2 SUs), a truly
wonderful car which rusted faster than any car I have ever owned.

When I had to carpool my son & his friends to play soccer for their
high school, I had to trade the Z-car for one with a mini back seats
and ended up with a 924 Porsche.  It was an underpowered car with
really amazing handling.

In 1987 I bought a 79 Midget in 1987 - officially for our son.  That
was one fun car!!! 8-)

In 1991 traded the 924 for a '77 Porsche 911S - which I still own.
http://home.earthlink.net/~johnwise/Porsche.html In '93 I had an '86
3.2 liter engine put in it. With this engine it is a totally
wonderful sports car - fast with great handling (once you learn to
drive it).

In '94 we traded the Miget for a 78 MGB that I bought from an
engineering student at the university where I was a professor.  My
daughter & I drove it for 6 years till she left for an internship at
NASA.

Last year I completed the cycle, and bought my second 1960 TR3A, this
time red with a black interior.
http://home.earthlink.net/~johnwise/TR3A.html  I am having as much
fun working on it, as driving it. BTW, as I mentioned the other day,
put some MGA machine screws in my TR last week.

I need to thank the list for a ton of help: from people looking at
cars for me before I bought this one, to all the wonderful and
occasionally humorous advice that I have received.

BTW, my daughter has already claimed the TR and my son the 911 (he
already has a California MGB) so I guess I get to keep them both.  ;-)

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE

5483 W Potter Dr
Glendale, AZ 85308