RE: TR4A Fan Belt

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4A Fan Belt
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:44:55 -0800
> Some have a smaller
> depth and serations and will fit more easily in the tight spaces.

Some examples :

Gates TR28386 (aka-#695)
Cummings diesel # 178539WRZ
NAPA dealer = 25-24379
(Thanks to FT for the Gates & NAPA numbers)

>  And since the
> mechanical load on the belt is not all that much the reduction of contact
> surface between the belt and the pully should not be an issue.
> The thinner belt
> means less flexing and (hopefully) a longer life.

That has certainly been my experience.  I did eventually have the Cummins
belt break, after about 5 years and maybe 50k miles but the NAPA I replaced
it with has been going strong ever since.  One local NAPA dealer had one in
stock, the other took about a week to order the spare (that I've still never
used).

Randall