RE: Trick for removing stuck brake caliper pistons

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trick for removing stuck brake caliper pistons
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:44:20 -0800
> If the pistons are stuck in the calipers doesn't that mean that the
> caliper cylinders are rusty too.

The bore of the caliper is actually unimportant.  Unlike all the other hydraulic
cylinders, the sealing surface of the caliper is on the piston, which can be
replaced separately.  And the groove that the seal seats into will likely be
fine at the bottom, because the brake fluif can't carry water into it.

>   I never hear anything about how to clean up the caliper cylinders.

FWIW, the book says not to disassemble the two halves of the caliper.  If you
do, you're supposed to replace the bolts, as they're reputedly a "torque to
yield" design; plus there's an O-ring that needs to be replaced but isn't
available from the usual suspects.

I just knock off any loose rust with steel wool, clean thoroughly with
brake-friendly solvent, wipe down with DOT 5 & put them back together.  DOT 5 is
a great preservative, it even preserves rust !

Randall