RE: Wire wheel studs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wire wheel studs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:19:56 -0700
> I am going to convert my 1971 TR6 to wire wheels. I am told the studs
> for these are shorter and I will therefore need to change to shorter
> studs. How difficult will it be to remove the existing studs?

Not hard at all, as Jerry says.  Another alternative (recommended by the factory
at least for the earlier cars) is to cut off the excess stud length.  Just
install the WW adapter and special nuts, then use a hacksaw or angle grinder to
cut the studs off flush with the end of the nut.

However, I'd disagree about buying used studs.  They're a safety critical item
and do fatigue and distort, especially if someone has _ever_ over tightened the
nuts.  They're also easy to damage when removing.  At the very least, make sure
a new nut will spin freely to the bottom of the threads, after they've been
removed from the donor car.

When I bought my Stag (with wire wheels), every single stud was stretched.  And
I can say from experience, losing a wheel on a TR is no fun at all !

Randall