Re: Wire wheel studs

To: Gerald M Van Vlack <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel studs
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:19:01 -0400
Hi Gerald,

I had planned to use the wires and spacers with Michelin X redlines and use the
steels with some
wider modern tires. I think the spacers with the 185 Michelins provide about
the same fender space
as the wider modern tires with steel wheels folks commonly recommend and use. I
had not planned on
using the spacers and wires with wider modern tires.

I've never seen spacers in use, but I wonder how noticeable the wider track
would be. I can imagine
one could see the difference in an A/B comparison, but otherwise, I wonder.
Have you seen a car with
spacers, and the wider track is obvious and objectionable?

Seems to me that wheel bearings go through a lot. Hitting a pot hole would seem
to stress them quite
a bit, but I never heard of anyone wearing out their wheel bearings from
hitting too many pot holes.
   I wonder if the additional 5/8" is a practical difference in wheel bearing
wear. Maybe it is if
the car is in daily use, but mine would not be.

It would be good to hear from folks that use the spacers.

Don Malling