Re: Back-up hood release

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Back-up hood release
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:35:39 -0600
Steinman, Bill wrote:

>Howdy all.  I've heard lots of horror stories about hood (bonnet)
>release cables failing, and have seen a couple of auxiliary releases on
>the market.  Do people recommend this?
>
>Also, I'm a big believer in installing a battery cut-off switch on old
>cars.  Healey was nice enough to design one into the car.  On my 250,
>there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to mound a quick-connect right to
>the battery terminal.  Am I right about the clearance?  Does anyone have
>a particularly good spot they use?

Bill, oddly my experience ties these two questions into one tidy
package. My TR4 still has an 'emergency cable' that had been rather
sloppily installed before I bought the car, but I personally think it's
a very slight risk IF you ensure your cable is in good condition. If you
notice it doesn't pull well once, don't hope it'll be better next time
but instead check the cable immediately for fraying, broken strands or a
bend in the inner cable. Or replace it now so you know it's in good
condition. After five years and countless bonnet openings, I'll probably
find the bonnet gets stuck shut within a week, huh?

For the cut-off switch, the owner from '98 to '00 installed a battery
disconnect on the negative (hot) post of this positive-ground TR4 -- and
to make matters worse the loose end of the emergency hood release cable
sometimes came into contact with the hot cable now sticking out a couple
extra inches toward the bonnet release. Very exciting. I removed it but
I think a cut-off is a good idea if it makes it more likely you'll
disconnect the battery when you're not using the car regularly, or when
you're working under the hood. Or for a fellow who might park on a
street around D.C. From an anti-theft perspective, if you can work out
how to install one under the dash, that'd be all the better.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2