TR4 Starter Probs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Starter Probs
From: "Tim I. Purdy" <timipurdy@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:06:42 -0700
Okay I turn my trusted gurus all these knowledgable folks on this list.

First of all, I had been having major starting problems, you could hear the
bendix just go capute. Since I am not a concourse kind of guy, but daily
driver, had replaced the starter from Moss Hi-Torque Starter.  In addition I
also changed the plugs, did not seem necessary and check the distributor cap,
everything appears fine. Tested battery, fully charged.  Last year replaced
the fuel pump and checked the fuel line before it goes to the carbs, flowing
there.

The above is what I have done and hopefully did not forget something.
Installed the starter, everything fine until the next morning.  The TR is
parked in a garage.  The next day attempt to start, starter motor working and
its hard and cold.  Number of attempts to start, using the choke, even the gas
pedal, and still no go, and yet no smell of gas like it was flooded.  Once I
get it started, and drive it starts up again, sort of fine.  One still has to
give it some gas.

So is it the floater valves and the carbs?  If so, what do I do?  Remember I
am mechanically challenged, and my best friend who saves my butt many times
with assistance, is not familiar with the SU dual carbs and is leary, or at
least until I get a rebuilt kit, for gaskets, etc.

Looking forward to the gallery's comments.

Thanks,

Tim
Susanville, CA