Re: Preparing to Remove TR3A Head

To: MotoPsyche@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Preparing to Remove TR3A Head
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:32:29 -0500
At 08:44 PM 10/6/2005, MotoPsyche@aol.com wrote:
>In chasing down my "blowing smoke" situation, evidence suggests a blown  head
>gasket.  Accordingly, I'm preparing to remove the head for the first  time.
>I could use any and all tips and BTDT insights.  As it happens,  the engine
>was rebuilt by the PO approximately 12K ago.  I plan to pull
>the  head with the
>engine in the car.  A few questions arise:
>
>1.    What's the best bet to use for a replacement head  gasket?

The stock gasket works just fine. It takes a lot of work to make the
solid gaskets truly seal, and if a stock gasket has leaked this soon,
the chance that a solid gasket of any type will leak is very high.

>2.    Given the mileage since the rebuild, are there  other items to address,
>inspect or replace while I'm in there?

Carefully check to see if you can identify where it is leaking and
why it is leaking. Don't hesitate to take it to a good machine shop
and have them check it for flatness, and take a cleanup cut across
the face if necessary. I have the best luck using a sealant called
Gaskacinch, an Edelbrock product, but some others work well too.
Copperkote does nothing.

After installation and adjusting everything, start it up and let it
warm up and cool down a couple of times. Remove the rocker assembly
and retorque. You'll probably get another ten to twenty pounds on the
torque wrench because of initial gasket relaxation. You will also
need to readjust the valves after retorquing.

>3.    Will the head studs will need replacement, or can  they be inspected
>for wear or stretch?

Check them carefully and if you can screw the nuts down on them
easily by hand when the threads are clean, you don't need to buy
studs. Others will have different opinions of course.

>4.    Other than a head gasket and possibly replacement  studs, should any
>other parts be ordered as a matter of course?

Don't forget to buy a manifold gasket and if you have a stock exhaust
manifold it's wise to have a new manifold-to-pipe gasket too just in case.

Good luck and let us know how it came out.

===     http://www.vtr.org