Preparing to Remove TR3A Head

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Preparing to Remove TR3A Head
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:44:19 EDT
In chasing down my "blowing smoke" situation, evidence suggests a blown  head
gasket.  Accordingly, I'm preparing to remove the head for the first  time.
I could use any and all tips and BTDT insights.  As it happens,  the engine
was rebuilt by the PO approximately 12K ago.  I plan to pull the  head with the
engine in the car.  A few questions arise:

1.    What's the best bet to use for a replacement head  gasket?
2.    Given the mileage since the rebuild, are there  other items to address,
inspect or replace while I'm in there?
3.    Will the head studs will need replacement, or can  they be inspected
for wear or stretch?
4.    Other than a head gasket and possibly replacement  studs, should any
other parts be ordered as a matter of course?

Thanks for all advice.  I'm going in!

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org