Re: TR250 Drive Shaft

To: JustBrits_com <justbrits@comcast.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR250 Drive Shaft
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:12:40 -0500
I got several responses on my questions about the u-joints on my wife's
TR250.  Thank you everyone.

The general response was that the u-joints were probably bad.  So I
started to remove the drive shaft.  I could get the front bolts out of
the flange.  The rear ones I can not get loose at all.  I am using 2
fairly long (longer than the normal combination wrenches) box end
wrenches and can't get the nuts loose.  I sprayed them with Kroil and
let them sit for overnight.  Still no luck.

Does anyone have secret tools for getting to these bolts?

In the mean time a mechanic offered some advice that I thought I would
pass on.  He suggested that I grease the u-joints,  if they took a lot
of grease they were probably dry.  Then take the car for a short
drive.  If the sound is gone or changed, it was the u-joints in which
case I need to change them.  If the noise is unchanged I have greased
the u-joints which they probably needed anyway,  but then I need to look
for another cause for the noise.

I have greased the u-joints and put the bolts back in the front flange,
but have not taken the car for a drive yet to check out the noise.

Thank you,

Roger Elliott

===     http://www.vtr.org