Re: thermostats

To: hoyt@cavtel.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: thermostats
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:22:12 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/2005 3:55:06 PM Central Standard Time,
hoyt@cavtel.net writes:
> You are right. Muddleheaded thinking on my part. I was thinking more along
> the
> lines of too big a pump and the problems related to that, like cavitation.

A very real concern especially when moving water near its boiling point

> Moving the water faster through the radiator is a useful way to increasing
> turbulent flow (good for heat transfer) and decreasing laminar flow (bad for
>
> heat transfer) in a properly designed system. Basic physics tells us that
> the
> higher the flow, the more heat will be "moved".
>
> There may be a simpler, easier "fix" for most people that live in warmer
> climates and that is to improve the ability of the coolant to absorb heat at
>
> a faster rate.
>
> To do this, use distilled water with as little anti-freeze as possible,
> certainly less than the 50/50 mix assumed to be standard. The anti-freeze
> manufacturer provides a table to determine how much to use. Go for the
> minimum.
>
> _Some_ amount anti-freeze is useful only because it contains chemicals for
> lubrication and anti-corrosion and it does raise the boiling point of water
> somewhat (as does using the correct pressure cap on the radiator). You can
> purchase the "good stuff" that is in anti-freeze without the glycol itself
> if
> you'll _never_ drive the car when the temperature is low enough to freeze
> the
> water. If you're comfortable with this and only drive in the summer, use
> this
> stuff and distilled water only; no anti-freeze at all.
>
> Products like "Water Wetter" are surfactants that reduce the surface tension
>
> of the coolant which helps remove air bubbles and reduce any tendency for
> cavitation. It's a useful additive for that purpose, but if it causes a drop
>
> in temp consistent with the manufacturer's claims, you have other cooling
> problems. 8)

Fred likes the No-Rizion (or No-Rosion or whatever it is called) which is a
corrosion inhibitor.  That and the water wetter will provide many of the
ancillary benefits of antifreeze without the ethylene glycol.

> Two last overheating tips:
>
> Don't paint the radiator heavily. Paint is an insulator and the radiator
> only
> needs a very light coat for cosmetics (and some surface corrosion
> resistance,
> I suppose). I see too many cars with beautiful engine compartments and
> radiators with thick coats of shiny black paint. This is great only if the
> car lives on a trailer.
>
> Check the distributor advance and carburetor adjustment. An incorrect
> setting
> at idle will raise engine operating temps.

Good points, all.  Do the basics first.  Thanks

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org