Re: thermostats

To: hoyt@cavtel.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: thermostats
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:09:08 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/2005 3:05:26 PM Central Standard Time,
hoyt@cavtel.net writes:
> Kind of. It's a box on the back of the radiator that has a hole only large
> enough for the fan blade. The relationship of the fan blade to the edge of
> the shroud is important (not too deep or to far away). It actually improves
> the efficiency of the fan at slow road speeds, but may cause some at higher
> road speeds.

My Mustang had just such a thing.  It had a four-banger but the engine bay
was set up for an inline six which made the shroud about 6 - 8 inches long.
One
problem with these is as the engine mounts flexes the fan will move but the
radiator and shroud don't.

That is the beauty of electric fans.  With these the fans and shroud can be
mounted to the radiator mounting and nothing moves in relation to each other.

But it becomes tricky to design a set up on a car with a cross brace in close
proximity with the radiator.  Even worse when there is a steering rack, too.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org