RE: thermostats

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: thermostats
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:28:33 -0700
> To do this, use distilled water with as little anti-freeze as possible,
> certainly less than the 50/50 mix assumed to be standard. The anti-freeze
> manufacturer provides a table to determine how much to use. Go for the
> minimum.
>
> _Some_ amount anti-freeze is useful only because it contains chemicals for
> lubrication and anti-corrosion

Good point, Hoyt.  Years ago I remember one of the majors said that 30% was the
minimum to provide corrosion protection with their anti-freeze, but last time I
checked, they said 50% was the minimum.  I still run 30% though, and it seems to
work OK as long as I remember to change it every two years.

Fred's No-Rosion sounds like a good idea, but turns out to cost just as much as
antifreeze (or more) and is a lot harder to buy.  I tried to place an order, but
the fellow wouldn't even answer my emails.

> Products like "Water Wetter" are surfactants that reduce the surface tension
> of the coolant

"Modern" "Water Wetter" also claims to contain corrosion inhibitors and water
pump lubricant ... they tell you to run pure water plus their product for
maximum cooling.  However the earlier version I tried did not provide corrosion
protection, which was obvious after just a few months of using it.

> It's a useful additive for that purpose, but if it causes a drop
> in temp consistent with the manufacturer's claims, you have other cooling
> problems. 8)

I couldn't tell the difference, but Ken Gillanders told me of trying it in a
race car that would boil after just a couple of laps ... it didn't boil with the
Water Wetter, which saved somebody's race day.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org