RE: thermostats

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: thermostats
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:45:44 -0700
> So when you said the amount of flow through the radiator has no effect on the
> amount of heat disipated what you really meant was a small decrease in flow
> has a trivial effect on the amount of heat disipated.

Right.  The flow rate has only an indirect effect on heat dissipated, the
temperature of the water is what's important.  But to the extent that flow rate
affects temperature, it will also affect heat dissipated.

> But, in the real world, few if any, overheating problems occur at speed
> unless there is a deficiency in coolant fill.

In case I wasn't clear before, my experiments with the bypass were done at
speed, where I was having an overheating problem.  Since all of my overheating
problems have been at speed (running without a fan doesn't count, right ?),
that's the only area where I'm interested in improving cooling.

> BTW, where did you come by the 185 GPM number?

Calculated from the WAG assumption of 100,000 lbs/hour.  Water weighs roughly 9
lbs/gallon, so 100,000/9 = 11,000 gph or 185 gpm.  I've never tried to measure
actual flow rate, but if you rev the engine up with the thermostat housing off,
the water really gushes out.  185 gpm is probably high, given the restriction of
the thermostat and radiator, but I'd guess it's the right order of magnitude.

I do plan to take some inlet/outlet temperature measurements someday, but
haven't acquired the appropriate tools yet.  It's really hard to hold a
thermometer to the radiator while driving hard enough to work the cooling system
<G>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org