Heater Control Valve Failure?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Control Valve Failure?
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:49:26 -0400
Well, I put the top up, turned on the heat for the first time since Spring
and headed to my wife's school to take her out to lunch before
parent/teacher conferences began. I got about half way there when  I noticed
some smoke/steam at t traffic light. Temp gauge was fine so I figured it
wasn't me. I got about a 1/4 mile further and the gauge started to move
rapidly to the right. Pulled over, popped the hood and coolant was steadily
dripping from the heater control valve where the temp control wire hooks to
it. I filled the radiator, let it idle and played with the temperature
control. The leak persisted at any position except full on. So I drove home
with no problem, except it was getting hot in the car! This looks like a
sealed unit but I'm tempted to remove it and give it a good flushing in case
there was just some heater core sediment that caused the problem. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6