Re: Tenax Question

To: Hoyt <hoyt@cavtel.net>
Subject: Re: Tenax Question
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:37:35 -0400
Hoyt wrote:

>On Saturday 29 October 2005 03:26 pm, ols@bcdef.net wrote:
>

>>I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this happen to them.  How is
>>this problem usually dealt with?
>>

>You could always weld the hole shut, drill and tap. Or, . . .
>
>Loctite Form-A-Thread Repair Kit p/n 28654
>
>Use your Loctite Form-A-Thread Kit to permanently repair stripped threads and
>fasteners in five minutes (up to SAE Grade 5 English and 8.8 metric size).
>Form-A-Thread allows up to 128 lb. torque and 3000F when cured and resists
>most shop fluids.
>
>found at
>http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=611&subgroupId=75
>US$14.70
>
>Step 1. Clean hole
>Step 2. Put release agent on bolt
>Step 3. Put goo in hole
>Step 4. Put bolt in hole
>Step 5. Done

The windscreen frame is made of brass, so welding is out of the
question.  If you brase it, you will ruin the chrome.  Check to see if
there is someone who will provide a stud with a slightly larger
threading.  This design is still in use in a number of applications,
including by BMW on their Z3s and Z4s.  I have also seen it in use on boats.

Cheers.

===     http://www.vtr.org