RE: Now VTR Membership was Re: Crash pad replacement

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Now VTR Membership was Re: Crash pad replacement
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:59:10 -0800
> My statement..... "Join the VTR and enjoy an excellent Organization that is
> devoted to the folks who own Triumphs of all types and all over the world."
> is not demonstrably false because of VTR limiting information to
> non-members.

I guess it's a question of definitions.  To me, saying in effect "I'll help you
if you pay me", means you are devoted to making money, not to helping me.

> Organization of all types maintain their information for their
> members, it's their prerogative to do so and to charge dues for maintaining
> that information.

Yes indeed, that's quite true.  But I'd call that being devoted to the
organization, not devoted to all Triumph owners.

> I ask would we as a community of Triumph owners be better
> off with or without VTR?

Definitely better off with VTR, not my point at all.  We're also better off with
the various vendors we buy parts from, I'd hate to see any of them leave the
scene.  But with few exceptions, I wouldn't call them "devoted to all Triumph
owners" either.  Rather, we're a market to be exploited.

Actions speak louder than words, and VTR's actions make it clear to me that
their primary focus is VTR.  There's nothing wrong with that, a certain amount
of self-interest is essential for the survival of any organization.  But it
seems to me that the VTR board has confused the furtherance of VTR with the
furtherance of the Triumph hobby.  And they are not the same thing.  I suppose
they are in good company though, I understand TSSC has gone the same way.

Blocking access through the WayBack machine would seem to illustrate my point
too.  No way does that benefit the Triumph community as a whole, it only
benefits VTR.  Not even VTR members, but only the organization.

Believe it or not, there are Triumph owners out there to whom $30/year is a
significant expense.  I'm no longer in that category, but I was at one time.
And I fail to see how systematically excluding them helps the overall Triumph
community.  We're a small enough group as it is, without dividing into "haves"
and "have nots".

</rant>
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org