[TR] oddly nearly overheating

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] oddly nearly overheating
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:32:40 -0400
Well, I almost have a problem in my 4A.  Almost overheating.  The car is 2
years out from restoration.  It has been running very well, and nice and
cool.

I have an XK's Unlimited high-flow 165 degree thermostat (It has the skirt
added on to block the bypass outlet when the thermostat opens).  The car has
had excellent temperature control (always just below 1/2 scale on the temp
gauge)  Until now, that is.

I drove the car the other day and the temp stabilized just below the red on
the gauge.  It would drop to about 3/4 if I had a downhill run, but it would
rise right back up again as soon as I put load on the engine.

So, I ordered a new old-style skirted bellows thermostat from Moss, thinking
the thermostat was the problem.  Unfortunately no change when I installed it
just this afternoon..

The engine is all original and has 30K miles.
The radiator was cleaned and tested at the time of the restoration and has
been working fine.... until now.

So, what do I do?  I have heard that "flushing" the cooling system does not
really help anything.  So, do I need to drain, the system, add plain water,
maybe with some "flush" and run the engine for a while,    then drain, refill
with water, run it again,   then drain and refill with new coolant?  or do I
need to pull the radiator and take it to a shop for cleaning and repair?  What
about the block?

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org