Re: [TR] oddly nearly overheating

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] oddly nearly overheating
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:53:54 -0400
Well, I could not open the stopcock on the radiator.  I was afraid to take a
pliers to it.  I did open the block's stopcock.  Nothing ran out.  I heard a
little air sucked in.

I took a small spring small wire and gently poked it into the orifice and I
got out some black mud, but no coolant.

I then started up the engine and quickly opened the stopcock again before
the exhaust pipes could burn me, and I got a gush of coolant into my basin.

I looked at the basin and saw the Day-Glo orange coolant looking reasonably
clean and some black particulates at the bottom.  They are magnetic, so I
believe they are rust.

The fact that no coolant immediately ran out.... does that mean that there
is too much mud at the bottom?  Maybe I needed to open the radiator cap too?

-Tony