RE: [TR] why gas & exhaust on same side?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] why gas & exhaust on same side?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:09:13 -0700
> Does anybody know the flash point of gasoline?

The flash point is way low, like -45C, but that's not what we're interested in.

> It would be interesting to know how much hotter the exhaust would have to  be
> to ignite gasoline.

The "autoignition" temperature is given as various numbers around 260-460C, but
this still doesn't answer the question.  When the liquid boils, it absorbs heat,
keeping the vapor reasonably cool (this is how air conditioners work).  The
vapor, no longer being in contact with the manifold, doesn't get so hot and with
reasonable ventilation, blows away before reaching the critical concentration.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org