Re: [TR] why gas & exhaust on same side?

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com, dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] why gas & exhaust on same side?
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:22:10 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/2006 9:12:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
McGaheyRx@aol.com writes:

but  a  couple
of times in several decades of ownership I have had gas  dripping all over  a
TR6 exhaust (once from that line between the  carbs leaking and once from a
flooding rear carb) and its pretty  scary to watch it hiss and boil away,
but it
doesn't burst into  flame

Does anybody know the flash point of gasoline?
It would be  interesting to know how much hotter the exhaust would have to
be
to  ignite gasoline.

I think you need to re-word the last sentence of your first paragraph  above
to say "didn't" burst into flame, rather than "doesn't"

I don't know the flash point of gasoline,  but I have see test films,
thankfully using a crash dummy simulating  a cigarette in the mouth of a  truck
driver fueling with diesel.  You can throw a lit match into a pan of  diesel
and
most times it will extenguish the match.  In the film, on a hot  day, the
diesel fumes ignighted when the cigarette was still some 30 inches away  from
the
tank being filled.

If Paul is willing to take the time and money to move his fuel line away
from his exhaust, I don't see how I could fault him.  Better safe than  sorry.

Robert  Houston
Texan in NM

63 TR4
73 MG Midget
74.5 MGBGT

_Far better it is to dare  mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even
though checkered by failure, than  to rank with those poor spirits who neither
enjoy nor suffer much because they  live in the gray twilight that knows
neither
victory nor defeat._ (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1949.html)
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1949.html#email) _ Theodore  Roosevelt_
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Theodore_Roosevelt/)  (1858 - 1919)