RE: [TR] RE: Emailing: eBayISAPI

To: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>,
Subject: RE: [TR] RE: Emailing: eBayISAPI
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 14:26:10 -0700
> Randall, that is just sophistry.

Really ?  "Sophistry" means using a false argument ... I am still waiting for
anyone to point out ANYTHING I've said that is not the strict truth.

> Your original note read to my eyes to mean
> that Herman's (who I do not know from Adam) entire product line was merely
> buying pre-done work from others for re-sale.

Well, Mark and Bill, I'm sorry you misunderstood me then.  Nothing could be
farther from the truth.  In fact, I even referred to the shock mounts as the
"official Herman brackets" (although in fact I'm not certain he didn't get at
least most of that design from someone else).

But that's your mistake, not mine.  What I WROTE is correct, no matter what you
read.

> The fact that he has external
> shops do the manufacturing to his design is entirely irrelevent.

Then why are you so upset at my comment ?

> I must admit
> it's been a few years since I programmed the code on systems bearing my name
> on the patents. Designing them is usually enough to get one that
> distinction...

But hopefully you recognize that having the patent on something is different
than making it ?  Charles Kettering got one of the patents for the ignition
system on our cars, but I'd hardly say they were "made by Kettering".

Lots of people hold patents on the products I help design and program, some of
the patents even belong to our competitors (who also use some of our patents).
But they don't "make" our product any more than we "make" their product.

> If he designed it, then it's his product. He "makes" it.

Ah, so you think Triumph "makes" those cheap knock-off parts from India ?

>From the OED :
make  . verb  1) Form by putting parts together or combining substances.

>  If he also re-sells some stuff then that's OK too.

Who said it wasn't ?  You're the one jumping ME for suggesting it, even though
he does resell some stuff (notably the hydraulic throw-out bearing).

> Running down a contributor to the hobby doesn't help anyone.

Right.  I wasn't doing that, maybe you shouldn't either.

> Sorry to seem
> mean, but your note does not perhaps come off the way you intended.

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org