[TR] Battery charging

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Battery charging
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 14:48:42 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2828868_1317779712.1608994122288

 There have been a lot of blanket statements regarding chargers and battery=
 charging.=C2=A0 Unfortunately, life is never as simple as we wish it to be=
.=C2=A0 And most of that can be attributed to the wide variety of styles of=
 chargers.=C2=A0 One of the things I do in my professional life is evaluate=
 chargers and they do vary widely.=C2=A0=20

First off, any reasonably priced charger cannot harm a battery very quickly=
.=C2=A0 Using a charger intermittently is the best practice.=C2=A0 A lead-a=
cid battery will self-discharge at a rate as high as 10% per month so using=
 a charger for a few hours each month is all that is required to keep up wi=
th a dormant battery.=C2=A0 If you want a set-and-forget charging regimen b=
uy a plug-in charger and set it up to run the charger for an hour a day. or=
 15 minutes.=C2=A0 Or get a timer with week-to-week programming capabilitie=
s and set it up to run an hour a week.=C2=A0 Depending on the charger, of c=
ourse.

The class of so-called trickle chargers vary the most.=C2=A0 Some are inten=
ded to keep a charged battery charged.=C2=A0 If you hook these up to a disc=
harged battery they will burn up.=C2=A0 Some will regulate to 14 volts othe=
rs to 13.5 volts.=C2=A0 Some are designed not to draw any current back out =
of the battery when AC is not applied, others will drain the battery at a l=
ow rate if not plugged in.=C2=A0 These range from cheap to really cheap.
Smart chargers cost more but are worth the price.=C2=A0 Smart chargers will=
 automatically detect when a battery is charged and switch to a "float" mod=
e.=C2=A0 Most have indicators to let you know when this happens.=C2=A0 Howe=
ver, not all smart chargers are the same.=C2=A0 Most can be left connected =
to the battery full time and will not draw current from the battery when no=
 AC is applied.=C2=A0 Many of these will just start charging when power is =
switched on so using this type of charger with a timer will be fine.=C2=A0 =
But there are some that require user set-up each time power is applied.=C2=
=A0 These will not work with a timer but will be fine if you manually conne=
ct and charge your batteries.=C2=A0 I have a couple of these and they requi=
re that the user select the battery chemistry each time it is plugged in.=
=C2=A0 Great charger otherwise.
These chargers are designed to remain connected and powered up indefinitely=
 and I've seen this done many times with no adverse effects.=C2=A0 However,=
 doing so on a battery in a car that is down for the winter is unnecessary =
and a waste of electricity.=C2=A0 It is better connect it once a month or s=
o and top-up the battery and leave it be.=C2=A0=20

And it will give you peace of mind.
=20
Dave=20

------=_Part_2828868_1317779712.1608994122288

chargers and battery charging.&nbsp; Unfortunately, life is never as simple as
we wish it to be.&nbsp; And most of that can be attributed to the wide variety
of styles of chargers.&nbsp; One of the things I do in my professional life is
evaluate chargers and they do vary widely.&nbsp; <br>

battery very quickly.&nbsp; Using a charger intermittently is the best
practice.&nbsp; A lead-acid battery will self-discharge at a rate as high as
10% per month so using a charger for a few hours each month is all that is
required to keep up with a dormant battery.&nbsp; If you want a set-and-forget
charging regimen buy a plug-in charger and set it up to run the charger for an
hour a day. or 15 minutes.&nbsp; Or get a timer with week-to-week programming
capabilities and set it up to run an hour a week.&nbsp; Depending on the
charger, of course.<br>

most.&nbsp; Some are intended to keep a charged battery charged.&nbsp; If you
hook these up to a discharged battery they will burn up.&nbsp; Some will
regulate to 14 volts others to 13.5 volts.&nbsp; Some are designed not
battery when AC is not applied, others will drain the battery at a low rate if
not plugged in.&nbsp; These range from cheap to really cheap.</font></div>

Smart chargers will automatically detect when a battery is charged and switch
to a "float" mode.&nbsp; Most have indicators to let you know when this
happens.&nbsp; However, not all smart chargers are the same.&nbsp; Most can be
left connected to the battery full time and will not draw current from the
battery when no AC is applied.&nbsp; Many of these will just start charging
when power is switched on so using this type of charger with a timer will be
fine.&nbsp; But there are some that require user set-up each time power is
applied.&nbsp; These will not work with a timer but will be fine if you
manually connect and charge your batteries.&nbsp; I have a couple of these and
they require that the user select the battery chemistry each time it is plugged
in.&nbsp; Great charger otherwise.</font></div>

up indefinitely and I've seen this done many times with no adverse
effects.&nbsp; However, doing so on a battery in a car that is down for the
winter is unnecessary and a waste of electricity.&nbsp; It is better connect it
once a month or so and top-up the battery and leave it be.&nbsp; <br>

------=_Part_2828868_1317779712.1608994122288--

--===============0137378068835974639==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============0137378068835974639==--