Re: towing question time again

To: Eric Swanger <ericsmgs@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: towing question time again
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:52:18 -0500
Eric Swanger wrote:

> Vaughn,
> Interesting, your experiences with the Astro.  What year was it?  How much
> did your trailer weigh, and how much tongue weight did you have?  I'm just
> curious to make sure I'm avoiding any potential problems.  I've had no
> problems at all out of mine, or my S10 blazer, which has the exact same
> engine/trans as the Astro.  To be honest, I was somewhat concerned when I
> first looked up under the Astro and saw the single spring, but after a
> couple trips had built up my confidence in the van.
>
> Eric

I've had quite different results towing with an Astro van. I bought mine four
years ago with 70,000 miles on it. I added a transmission cooler. I tow a TR4 on
an open trailer to about six events per year, mostly but not all in the Midwest.
We really fill it up, usually with three people and lots of bear.

The van now has 140,000 miles on it with no drivetrain or suspension problems. I
get about 13 mpg towing at 65 - 70 mph.

I change the engine oil twice a year and change the trans oil twice a year.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and still racing