Re: Options for TR250 carbs and cam

To: <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Options for TR250 carbs and cam
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:31:24 -0400
On Malling wrote:

> What are the opinions out there? New cam? remove air pollution? Fuel
> Injection? webers?

> I am looking for a "restoration" that I can license as a classic and
> drive a couple of times a week on nice days. I'm not after a show car.

Don,

If you REALLY want PI or Webers, it means you have a "wild hair" and will
not be satisfied until you sink $5-14K in your motor, then build the brakes,
drive-train and chassis to support this modification.

But if you want a nice car to drive on nice days, why not stick with the
Strombergs?  They are not a "bad" carb, and any bad press they get is due to
vacuum leaks from worn throttle shafts and torn bellows.  In fact,
Strombergs do a pretty good job, considering all the pollution criteria they
were required to meet in the 70s (far better than the efforts by Autolite &
Carter, etc).  A complete rebuild by a competent Stromberg weenie and
accurate adjustment will solve all your carburation problems.  Strombergs
are used by racers, and Richard Good uses three of them for his performance
manifold.  What better recommendation is there?

You can obtain noticeable "seat of the pants" performance improvement by
simply adding an electronic ignition, K&N air cleaners, and replacing the
mechanical with an electric fan.  If your motor is still pretty strong, and
with the rebuilt carbs and careful attention to tuning and timing, you can
terrorize any stock 240Z out there.  Change the rear-end or put on
lower-profile tires, and you can go out Miata hunting.

Shane Ingate in Maryland