Re: Options for TR250 carbs and cam

To: Nick Gemas <gln@worldpath.net>
Subject: Re: Options for TR250 carbs and cam
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:35:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Nick Gemas wrote:

Stuff deleted...

I love TR6's... so don't misinterpret this.

The bottom line is that the early 240Z's were lighter than TR6's. The
power on the 240Z was about the same, so using basic physics, you can
conclude that the Z was faster. When the Z then became the 260 and 280 Z,
they had more displacement (and power and torque), and allowing for rules
in the racing sense, the Z was a more potent car. To wit, the Z ran C Prod
in SCCA, the carb TR6 ran DP and the PI TR6 ran CP. Later, most Prod cars
were converted to GT specs and the Z's run GT2 while the TR6 runs GT3.

So, while you might have left 240Z drivers with thier mouths hanging open,
the basic performance envelope of the 240 was better than the TR6 when the
cars were new, and they were even more imbalanced in favor of the Z by
then end of the TR6 production.

FWIW, I've left a few folks with various "performance" cars with thier
mouths hanging open in my Saturn SL2... but to be honest - in  a "real
race" I'm sure cars with better performance figures would trounce me. In
other words, maybe your experience was not really on equal footing (unless
you've performed these exploits on a race track or something).

Bottom line - don't conclude for a second that casual "street racing" in
any way shows how well your car will perform. I'll even guarantee that
statement because I doubt you can reach the limits of performance in a
street situation without endagering you and everyone else around you.

'nuff said.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |