Re: POR 15

To: "6pack \(E-mail\)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: POR 15
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 07:31:12 -0700 (PDT)
One other caution about POR is that the lids to the
cans can be impossible to get off, even when new. The
manufacturer recommends placing Saran Wrap between the
lid and can when you reseal it.

Given that fact, and the fact that POR's shelf life
exponentially decreases the longer it is exposed to
air, one trick I've used is to simply drill a small
hole in the lid, stir the can contents with a coat
hangar stuck through the hole, and then pour what I
need into a small cup. I then immediately seal the
hole with a machine screw and rubber washer. No
fighting with the lid when I realize I need some more
three hours later!

For max extended shelf life the baby jar idea is a
good one.

I've had problems with the quality of "new" cans as
well. A couple weeks ago I was at our local dealer and
he was unpacking small cans of semi-gloss black. I
bought one, used it on the back of a brake booster,
and it looked very flat and cloudy after drying. I
took that can back, swapped it for another from the
same box, and with the same exact prep and application
technique, the finish came out a beautiful hard glossy
black.

William
'74 TR6

http://finance.yahoo.com