Re: Race seats

To: mocharand5@aol.com
Subject: Re: Race seats
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:27:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 mocharand5@aol.com wrote:

> <PRE>Anyone have any good tips on where to buy good, light, race seats?

Well, there's light and there's "good". I bought a fairly light Kirkey
"economy" seat a while back. It was pretty light but  upright circle track
seat to start. It was really uncomfortable. I now have a Kirkey
"intermediate road race seat" and it is a lot more comforatble. I don't
know about these seats for regular street driving, but figure they weigh
under 15 pounds.

There are others out there. One of the publications I get (either
Grassroots Motorsports or the SCCA "Sports Car" mag did a pretty good
writeup of seats in the recent past. This covered a broader list of
available race seats.

The bottom line - there are a lot of choices, the most important criteria
is the mounting, as the TR6 cockpit well is fairly limited in width. The
limits come from the tranny tunnel and the "inner sill". While the space
is more than 20 inches wide in the back, it necks down for the tranny
tunnel. If you don't pay attention, wider seats can run into interference
with the tunnel. I have pretty short legs, so this was a big issue for me.

I really love the Kirkey Intermediate road race seat. It was $299 well
spent.

C ya,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |