Re: Ignition Problems

To: StuBeatty@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition Problems
From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 06:46:14 -0400
I have had a Petronix system on my TR6 for six years now. It failed once
while running in a rally, sponsored by the Great Race. Since having a
replaced crown, I have had no problem. They say there will always be one in
a million that fail. I guess there are a few of us that count in that one in
a million.
In my case the crown that holds the six small magnets equal distances apart,
(so that when it passes past the sensor, it sends the impulse down to the
coil to create voltage to give spark etc.) actually separated, letting the
magnets jump and then as they passed the sensor, only one impulse occurred.
I am fortunate enough to have acquired a second distributor and have a new
petronix set already mounted. This is my insurance against such a problem
arising again. A points set is a lot smaller to store, but with my fat
finger syndrome, I am sure I would loose the screws while trying to fix it
road side.
Robert L. Gannon
trsix74@comcast.net
TR6   1974 CF22956U