RE: rear sway bars

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: RE: rear sway bars
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:44:57 -0600
>From what I understand of suspension dynamics, if you put a 3/4 rear bar on
with the stock front bar you can expect quite a bit of an oversteer
characteristic to develop. A much more dangerous characteristic than
understeer especially in the wet. While oversteer is more fun, it is also very
easy to move past the point of no return which is why most cars actually have
understeer designed into their handling traits. The other disadvantage of the
rear-bar offered by most of the TR supplliers, especially to a road car, is
the reduction in ground clearance. If you have fit fast-road springs you have
already lost some of that ground clearance, the rear-bar will lose you even
more.

 IMHO, for the majority of fast road TR6's, a rear sway bar is not needed.
Uprated springs bushings and shocks can do alot for these cars. If you fit
high quality footwear(tires) to it as well then it is even better. Having said
that, it is very hard to find performance tires in the 70's range of aspect
ratio tires. Touring tires yes but not true performance tires. With 205/70's
on wire wheels you should expect a bit of sidewall flex and deflection from
the spokes while cornering. But it will look good and ride smooth.

But this is just my opinion, some is actually based on experience. :-)

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

>===== Original Message From Lizirbydavis@cs.com =====
>I/m interested in improving the handling of my car.  I already have rebuilt
>the front and rear ends with uprated springs, poly bushings, KYB shocks and
>rear tube shock conversion. I'm running Yokohama 205/70/15 on wire wheels.
Does