RE: Crane Electronic Ignition verse Pertronix Electronic

To: "Michael Greene" <m.e.greene@worldnet.att.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Crane Electronic Ignition verse Pertronix Electronic
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:55:33 -0700
FWIW I've been running a Pertronix for five years with zero problems. But I
believe that the Crane unit has had fewer reported problems. The Pertronix
uses a "hall effect" magnetic sensor while the Crane uses an optical trigger.
The Crane unit also has an amplifier(the visible box part) while the Pertronix
fits fully under the Distributor Cap.
 Which ever one you use, carefully read the instructions when installing. It's
not quite as simple as replacing the points. A bit more attention to detail is
required. The up-side is that once you have either unit installed you
shouldn't have to mess with any of it again for quite some time.

 Another side note about the differences. The "hall effect" sensor is
dependent upon the correct gap between the sensor and the magnet wheel. The
optical sensor on the Crane isn't. This does give the edge to the Crane when
you have a very worn distributor. Of course if you have too much wobble in the
distributor it's time to rebuild it.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO