RE: Pertronix Ignitor ignition

To: "'Richard Seaton'" <rsh17@msn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pertronix Ignitor ignition
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:43:16 -0500
Hi Richard!

You are correct that points aren't difficult, if a bit tedious to set. I
used to have Mallory dual point distributors on a couple of HP Dodges I
owned that were twice the fun! The problem I've had with the last few
sets of Lucas point sets is that there isn't enough adjustment to set
them properly. I've had to file the adjustment slot to get them work.
Then you have the plastic arm that wears immediately upon use, even if
properly lubricated. And the contacts begin to deteriorate immediately
also, so it doesn't take long for the dwell to be off a few degrees. Of
course that's true of all points, not just the Lucas sets.
I don't think anyone will disagree that almost any electronic ignition
that is operating properly is better than points. The knock on the
Pertronix units has been poor quality control in manufacture, leading to
premature failure and or poor performance. Neither I nor any of my
friends have had problems. Others have, and I understand why they have a
poor opinion of the Pertronix Ignitor system.
My point was to relate a positive experience to balance the ongoing
Pertronix debate.

Take care,

Jim

 Points aren't that difficult to set. The feeler gauge isn't very
precise at all. Use the feeler gauge to get in the ball park or maybe a
large city. Then use a dwell meter to get them perfect. Just remember
when you need to increase the dwell, you will decrease to point gap, and
visa versa to decrease the dwell. One bad thing is I can't remember if
the Bentley Manual list the dwell angle on the 6.

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com
View My restoration @ (http://groups.msncom/Richards69TR6Restoration
<http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration> )