Re: Radiator question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radiator question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:17:46 -0700
 Michael---If this "above average" reading only shows up during your
hotter weather spells, perhaps nothing need be done. If this is
different from the past, you can check/do a couple of things. Take out
the radiator and backflush it. When you later (garden hose) fill it from
the top, water should gush out the bottom with full volume.

Replace the radiator cap, if necessary, with one rated at 13 lb.

Check ignition timing when revving the engine. Timing should advance off
the scale at the higher revs.

You should have the four rows of tubes radiator, which should be
sufficient for what you are encountering.

Dick

From:
mgc4@cdc.gov(Campsmith, Michael (CDC/NCHSTP/DHAP))

Fellow Listers--
My 1974 TR6 has been running hotter than I would like, even with the oil
cooler. I had it out yesterday in the 90+ degree Atlanta heat and even
on the highway the gauge stayed on the high side of midline.
I'm contemplating replacing the radiator, which is just about the only
part that I haven't replaced or refurbished.
Has anyone had experience with buying a replacement radiator from the
Big 3? Or are there custom application that you can recommend? I tend to
drive the car moderate most of the time with spells of spirited excess.
As always, thanks for your collective insight.
Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now BRG)