[6pack] Under carpet treatment

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Under carpet treatment
From: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:10:43 -0400
Timely since I'm doing the same thing, for different reasons.  As part of a
carpet replacement process, my plan is to put down an underlayment, in this
case Dynamat Extreme and then the carpet to which I will attach a 30 oz jute
padding.  Have the interior completely stripped now and treated a few spots on
the floor that looked like they might be potential rust areas.  I order 36 sq
ft. of Dynamat for about $145 delivered from Amazon and yesterday I went about
putting it on the transmission tunnel.  Took about 1 hour and looks pretty
good.  Keep in mind, the product is not flexible so bends and contours needed
to be addressed by inserting pieces, cutting out pieces or small folds in the
skin.  Part of the install includes smoothing the product with a roller which
is an important step.  Frankly, I'm using a wallpaper seam roller which is
working just fine.  Bottom line is that I'm pretty happy with it.  I expect it
will take 3-4 hours to finish the floor, driveshaft cover and rear parcel
shelf and just by the end, I'll have developed a good technique!  I used quite
a few very small pieces to fill the cracks and not waste but after rolling, it
looks very good.
Question I've got for someone who is experienced is concerning the original
thick tar or asphalt damping pieces that were originally used.  They are on
the heel area of the parcel shelf and there are pieces just behind the seats
on the floor that are about 6x9 inches in size.  These all seem to be very
well attached to the metal.  Should these all be removed or left intact?
Removing would be tough.  Thanks

Darcy Hunter
'73 TR6
No. Easton, MA