dieseling

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: dieseling
From: william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:37:57 -0700
Since rebuilding my motor, I have had a problem with dieseling.  The timing
is set at 4 degrees BTDC.  I can set the idle down to 500 rpm and turn the
idle mixture screws down so that the engine misses, but the dieseling still
occurs.  When I pulled the spark plugs, they looked like they were running
hot.  The motor went from 20 thou to 30 thousand over.  The head was ported
and the cam ground to a hotter grind.  The head and block were both decked.
A friend suggested that I may need colder spark plugs to prevent the
dieseling.  Sounds like a good theory.  Does anyone know if this will work?

Also, I changed the throwout bushing to a bearing in my series two
bellhousing.  At idle with the engine warm, I get an annoying bearing
whirring noise.  This does not occur with the engine cold or at any engine
speed off idle.  The same friend suggested that my bearing my need to wear
in a little.  I'm afraid I just got a bad bearing.  At any rate, I will not
pull the motor just to change the bearing until the whole thing falls
apart.  Does anyone believe the "bearing needs to wear in theory"?  Or am I
destined to listen to the annoying whir?

Thirdly, I have an article from TE/AE describing the badge bar bracket that
goes behind the front bumper.  It looks fairly easy to manufacture, but
does any know if I can simply buy one someone?  I would also like to get
the badge bar that botls to the bracket.

Bill Lewis
FrankenSeries II