Re: dieseling

To: Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>
Subject: Re: dieseling
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:58:10 -0500
Christopher Albers wrote:

> I've had this problem (dieseling) ever since the completion of my
> highly modified 1725 (now 1800) engine and have not been able to fix
> it.  The compression is about 10:1 and I only use 92 octane fuel.  I've
> played with the advance (which is about 6-8 deg 'cuz I have an Isky SB2
> cam) and the carbs to no avail.  I have settled for the cheap fix
> (thanks Dick Sanders) of putting on the parking brake and smoothly
> releasing the clutch as I shut off the ignition.  But it is still a
> very annoying problem.

I even went to the trouble of fitting a whopping big anti-run-on valve to my
intake manifold (on the Cooper S). As soon as I cut the ignition a valve
opens the intake manifold up to about 1/2" id outside air to flow into the
manifold. It didn't do a damned thing. No change at all.

Sometimes after I turn it off, about ten seconds later it goes "whumpf" out
the exhaust, sort of quietly, like an old lady farting.   ;)

I have just recently got my Edelbrock mixture monitor to working fairly
well. It says I'm marginally rich right through the entire range. I'm going
to tune to please its little lights and see if that helps the run-on.

-Rock, trying to take his own advice.
--
Ask your ISP to amend its TOS & assess fines for spamming and serious
abuse. Clean up the net without government intervention. Pass it on.