Re: dieseling

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dieseling
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:14:43 -0500
chuck nicodemus wrote:

> UNless others , can do tihs . I have always figured diesleing was mainly
>caused by
> improper timing. . On all the other "older" pre-60s' vacume advance and
>ingnition
> were the culpert..Fuel definatly has a position in this one also , as
>pre-60s' we
> didin't have this rotten liquid to put in the tank.
> My older 2.5 p

Coupla things: Running on, sometimes called dieseling, happens after the
ignition is turned off, so the ignition system is not causing it.
Preignition (pinging, pinking) during acceleration, on the other hand, is
often caused by overadvanced timing. When the engine runs on after the
ignition is cut, it most often turns in reverse, pumping oil away from the
bearings, so it should not be allowed to continue. On the other hand,
banging out the clutch in gear with the brake on when there's no pressurized
oil at the bearings will stop the engine from running on but it will also
allow metal-to-metal contact in the bearing areas. Best idea is to find the
cause and fix it. Lower octane fuels will make running on worse, as will
high compression ratios and hot-spots in the combustion chamber.

There's an old cure that often works, but I don't recommend it, since it's a
bit dangerous, and that's to warm the engine up to full operating
temperature with the air-cleaner(s) off, then up the revs to about 3,000 rpm
and begin to pour water (with some added waterpump lubricant mixed in) into
the carb intake. With dual carbs you repeat the treatment, alternating
carbs. Don't pour it in fast enough to kill the engine. A newspaper under
and behind the exhaust outlet will catch the carbon and junk the steam
removes from the combustion chamber. We would do this until it came clean
and no more crap was coming out the back.

The danger is that it's slightly possible to stick a valve and ruin the
engine, which is why the water-soluble lube is added to the water.

If the problem was carbon glowing in the chamber and igniting the compressed
fuel-air mix like the glow-plug on a diesel, decarbonizing with the water
may fix it, but it's a bit of a gamble.

-Rock
--
Ask your ISP to amend its TOS & assess fines for spamming and serious
abuse. Clean up the net without government intervention. Pass it on.