Re: dieseling

To: william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: dieseling
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:32:46 +1000
Bill

What octane fuel are you using?  By increasing the bore (slightly) and decking
the head and block you may have raised the compression ratio just enough to
cause dieseling on lower octane fuels, particularly if the head/block had
already been decked on a previous overhaul.

Also I believe dieseling may be caused by the engine running hot like your
plugs suggest, and this in turn can result from the mixture being to lean.  You
may need to get the carb rejetted - I had to do this after changing the cam in
my Brock Commodore.

cheers
Vic Hughes