Re: Alpines and Geminis

To: jarrid_gross@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Alpines and Geminis
From: "Paul Heuer" <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:06:26 +1030
Jarrid, and other OHC devotees,
I placed the Alpine head gasket onto the Gemini head. It is near enough to
convince you the motors are related, but there are significant differences
too.

I'll try to take some pics in the next day or two.

For now:
1. Head bolts. They line up pretty well in the centre of the head, but the
bolt holes at both ends are off by half the diameter of the hole. Could be
due to "metric-ification" of the design.

2. Coolant passages. The crescent-shaped passages along the side of the head
match up. The Alpine has a passage between each bore, whereas the Gemini has
multiple, smaller passages further out to the edge of the head (probably a
lesson learned there). The big coin-sized hole in middle of the Alpine head
is not there on the Gemini head.

3. OHC vs OHV gear. Obviously quite some difference where the tappets and
rods were for the OHV gear. But there is nothing fundamentally in the way
here. And of course the timing chain area means that the water pump doesn't
mount to the head on the Gemini.

4. I didn't have time to pull out my spare Alpine head, but judging by the
cut-outs in the gasket where it fits around the bores, the valve layout is
quite different between the two. I guess this is to be expected as a
consequence of the change to a cross-flow design.
Cheers,
Paul.