Re: Alpines and Geminis

To: Paul Heuer <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Alpines and Geminis
From: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:32:42 -0800
Paul Heuer wrote:

> Jarrid,
> If you promise not to tell any of the other Aussies on the list (Geminis are
> waaay uncool here, thanks to a radio character called 'The Sandman'), I can
> offer some help. ;-)
>
> I have a corroded-out 1600 Gemini SOHC cylinder head and a good Alpine
> cylinder head in my shed. I've never made the connection between them
> because the Alpine head is lovingly packed away on a shelf while the Gemi
> head is dumped on the floor in anticipation of the day the sh*tbox car
> leaves our carport for good.
>
> If you tell me what I'm looking for I'll take some measurements. I don't
> have a cylinder block of either type, so I can't try to cross-mount the
> heads for you.
> Cheers,
> Paul.

  Oh Paul,

You hath made my week!

What I am looking for is:

a) Are the bolt holes in the same places.
b) Are the combustion chambers in the same places.
c) It the length more or less the same.

a and b can most easily be verified with a rootes head gasket.
c is best checked along side the alpien head.

The reckoning here (if the gemini engine is a G160) is that
if the isuzu/hillman lore is true, (and our friends from isuzu were
opportunistics)
the G160 head will be within a few thousanths of bolting to the rootes
block.

This is to say that the head bolts should be very close to lining up,
the water passages would be about in the right spot ECT.

If this is true, I am sure I could work out the details of getting
a cam belt and shrouding on a rootes engine with that sweet head.

Extra credit for pictures Paul!

Thx,

Jarrid Gross