Re: hypothetical ? revisited

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: hypothetical ? revisited
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 13:15:50 -0700

Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Okay, so far most people have said that it's basically up to the driver
> to check their own times after each run.  I can buy that.  Keep in mind
> that this didn't happen to me but since this was my first "big" event I
> wasn't even aware that "official" times were posted anywhere other than
> on the chalkboard of the worker by the finish lights after each run.

In many events, there is not enough time to check the boards anyways. At
the San Diego Divisional, I didn't see many people running to the
boards, and if they did, they would have had to run back to their cars.

I think the point is that it is the driver's responsibility to be aware
of how they did, but I agree that under normal situations, I would
expect someone (competitors, friends, kindly strangers) to let me know I
was DNFing the same spot.

Again, I think the PA announcer should mention the DNF and the board
should have a time/DNF written on it. Just about every event I have
seen, the announcer has taken the responsibility to ask someone to talk
to the driver and tell them where the DNF was.

> Thats pretty bad if you ask me.  There are also common courtesy and
> respect issues to be dealt with here.

Yep. If no one told me, perhaps everyone assumed that someone else did.
Or perhaps some introspection is in order by the driver to see why no
one cared enough to help, after the he/she DNFed all 4 runs.

  Come on folks, we're not fighting
> for money.  Bragging rights and maybe a nice piece of walnut to hang on
> the wall is our prize.  What price are we willing to pay for that small
> piece of wood?

Well, some folks are running for money at a Divisional. And obviously
it's not the wood. It's what the wood represents, and we do put a lot of
money and time into that quest.

Randy Chase "...Got Wood?"  8-P